South Coastal Counties Legal Services, Inc. (SCCLS) together with its subsidiary, the Justice Center of Southeast Massachusetts, (JCSM) is the primary provider of free civil legal aid to low-income individuals and elders in Southeastern Massachusetts, Cape Cod & the Islands. SCCLS seeks a full time Director for its AmeriCorps Program which is funded through the Corporation for National and Community Service and administered through the Massachusetts Service Alliance. This vibrant AmeriCorps program has been attracting talented attorneys and college graduates for seventeen years. Our partners universally hold the program in high regard. There are many opportunities for a new Program Director to increase the visibility and efficacy of the program by building from a strong existing foundation.
In 2022, AmeriCorps awarded ALA-MA funding through 2025, and the program enjoys durable relationships with many host sites and the Mass Service Alliance. All systems are strong, including recruiting, communications, and evaluation. Its training program is robust, and the alumni network is strong.
Since 2005, South Coastal Counties Legal Services (SCCLS) has sponsored AmeriCorps Legal Advocates of Massachusetts (ALA-MA). The mission of ALA-MA is to open doors to justice for clients, invigorate partner sites, and cultivate the next generation of public leaders. ALA-MA accomplishes these goals by embedding 36 service members each year in organizations around the Commonwealth to provide civil legal assistance to low-income individuals and families. The host organizations assign each service member a qualified legal professional to serve as the on-site supervisor for daily client activities.
The ALA-MA Program Director provides program oversight, including support, guidance and supervision for a yearly cohort of AmeriCorps members and partner sites. The Program Director acts as a liaison with partner sites, performs all HR related duties, creates training and professional development activities for service members, and ensures compliance with all requirements of the grant as established by AmeriCorps the agency and the Massachusetts Service Alliance.
• Manage the overall AmeriCorps grants process
• Recruit and manage relationships with 16 host program sites statewide, including the partner application and selection process; manage the yearly recruitment and placement of a diverse group of 36 members
• Provide ongoing administrative oversight of member activities and compliance with AmeriCorps regulations including, but not limited to: maintaining member personnel files, ensuring completion of national background checks, reviewing and finalizing timesheet and performance reports, and ensuring compliance in the federal grants management system eGrants
• Establish a training and professional development calendar for members. Maintain and implement various processes and guidelines for members and partner sites
• Ensure grant compliance with AmeriCorps provisions and regulations and coordinate the AmeriCorps semi-annual performance review process
• Work closely with the SCCLS fiscal officer to manage the grant budget and all related expenditures
• Communicate regularly with Massachusetts Service Alliance (the AmeriCorps state commission) around program and member management
• Provide assistance and support for partner site personnel and members to share information, resolve issues, and ensure member retention and compliance with AmeriCorps policies, procedures and standards
• Maintain the program’s social media presence and website
• Develop and maintain an alumni network through regular communications including establishing an alumni council, providing job search and professional development resources, and supporting current and past members in their career growth
• Supervise a Program Coordinator.
• Bachelor’s degree required. Masters or Juris Doctor applicants encouraged
• Three to five years or equivalent full-time professional or administrative experience in nonprofit management, human services or legal services required
• Experience or interest in grant writing and compliance
• Strong written and oral communication skills; strong organizational and interpersonal skills
• Supervisory or volunteer management experience a plus
• Proficiency in data management and systems desirable; experience in program management desirable
• Familiarity with public interest law or civil legal aid desirable; prior AmeriCorps service valued
• Must be willing and able to manage own transportation for in-state travel
• Successful completion of a National Service Criminal History Check process.
Compensation and Benefits:
Starting salary $78,000 DOE. Benefits package: health and dental with supplemental coverage, life insurance, disability, flexible spending account, 403(b), loan forgiveness. Generous paid leave including sick, vacation, personal and holidays.
Submit letter of interest, resume and legal writing sample by email to: LThelin@sccls.org with Subject Line: ALA-MA Director. Applications considered on a rolling basis. For timely and comprehensive consideration, applications should be received by December 7, 2022. Application reviews will begin immediately.
South Coastal Counties Legal Services and its subsidiary are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of age, class, color, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender, national origin, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. We welcome applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences. We strive to foster a healthy, inclusive environment where all staff, clients, and community members are valued, empowered and recognized.